Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Art of Youthful Living

This is an experience I shared at a recent Buddhist meeting I attended at the Shinjuku Culture Center! The Diva's group is conducted by the Tokyo International Group's Women's and Young Women's Division. And held every 2 months. If you'd like to attend, please let me know!

Art of Youthful Living
Fresh, Green, Singing, Energetic, Lively, Spontaneous, Unlimited, Shining, Hopeful, Joyful, Spring
These are some words for me that describe the feelings of youth. I tried to think of experiences I’ve had that help me feel this and perhaps through some of my struggles, you might find something that resonates with your life…and inspires you to BREAK through your barriers and STAY YOUNG AT HEART.

I was born into a family that practices Buddhism and raised in South Carolina. Although I was born into the Buddhist practice, I refused to do it on my own. As long as I remember from my childhood, I actually was secretly depressed because I hated being human, because all I saw was humans destroying nature. I had suicidal thoughts and because of my lack of motivation for living, I wasn’t doing well in school or at home. As a result, was always getting yelled at for something, so I liked being outside. One day, even though I did not want to be there, I was sitting in a Young Women’s meeting where they quoted Daisaku Ikeda, which changed my life forever.
He said, “You are responsible for your own happiness”
and these words of wisdom pierced my heart and immediately I thought of my parents and my older brother, who I had blamed for all my unhappiness.

After I realized how deeply unhappy I was, I took action and started chanting Nam Myoho Renge Kyo on my own. I took responsibility for my life and I completely changed the way I thought about others. At the age of 13, this caused a major shift in my behavior and I still remember the shock on my mom’s face when I would offer to lead prayers or to wash the dishes. Chanting Nam Myoho Renge Kyo helped me transform my hate towards my parents into appreciation for them. I realized how much they were struggling to love me, and that the more I had pushed them away, the more they had to love me back. That appreciation turned into motivation to be a better person and to study hard in school. As I changed, the way people treated me changed and I could clearly see the concept of oneness of person and the environment in action. This teaching means we are not separate from the people and situations in our life…everything is a reflection of our inner state, and I was empowered to know that if I chose to clean up my inner life-state, then I could also make a difference for the planet as well.
Daisaku Ikeda says, “Each human life, together with its environment, is an expression of the fundamental life-force of the entire cosmos. It follows that any change in the inner life condition of a single human being can, at the
deepest level of life itself, exert an influence on other human lives.
And since nature and the cosmos are living entities, the waves emanating
from one human life can shake the foundations of other living beings,
and even affect inanimate forms of life.”


I started doing well in school, creating an environmental group at high school and became a vegetarian as a great way to have an earth-friendly diet. In college, I studied wildlife biology and ended up working for the US Fish and Wildlife Service for 12 years. I found myself in the best place for creating community activities that celebrate nature as well as working with volunteers who love animals like I do! I was also able to share this Buddhist practice with 12 others who joined SGI. I have a large debt of gratitude for Ikeda’s wisdom and bringing this powerful Buddhist practice to the US. I have really changed my life and how I value myself, and I know this Buddhist practice can help others as well!

Dr. Ikeda also says “What is the treasure of youth? It is struggle; it is hard work. Unless you struggle, you cannot become truly strong. Those who fight hard during their youth will have nothing to fear when the time comes to put the
finishing touches on their lives. They will possess a great state of life that towers strong and unshakable. In Buddhism, we call this the state of Buddhahood, which nothing can undermine or destroy. It is a state of mind enjoyed by invincible champions of life.”

In 2000 I came to study Japanese at Soka University for one year. It was a life-changing experience and powerful start of my personal growth because of the many challenges and victories I had. I met my mentor and made a vow to him personally, that I would help build the foundation for world peace with my life. Since then, I always knew that I would want to live in Japan again, because 1 year was just too short to learn Japanese.

My husband was offered a position at Soka U, so we moved here last year. At first, I had a hard time leaving behind my career and friends that I loved so much. I sometimes I felt alone and did not always know what my mission here would be. Shinjiro, my husband has worked really hard with his job at Soka University and he has to go to work almost everyday to keep up with the things he needs to do. I was often stuck in the house alone. So I had to find my own hobbies and activities to keep me busy. At first, because I was new at being a housewife, just taking care of the house was enough to keep me occupied and challenged. But there were times when I stopped chanting or doing activities as much, and I would go into my depressed state of mind and start snapping at Shinjiro for no reason. This is what I call my low-life condition…when I am ruled by my environment and take everything negatively. I start blaming the people around me for my unhappiness and give them the power over my emotional state. By chanting through these moments, I can empower myself to change the way I think.

I set up goals for myself in April, to get out into nature more by hiking and making more friends. I also wanted to learn more names of Japanese plants, instead of staying in the house and watching American TV. When I made goals for myself, I chanted to accomplish these and took action. I started to reach out to strangers wearing hiking gear at the train stations. Because I wasn’t getting good responses,

I almost gave up, until I met Mr. Sasaki, an 80 year old man! I sat next to him on the train, and asked him where he’d been that day. He asked me where I’d hiked before and within a 10 minute conversation, we exchanged contact information and by the next day, I had joined his hiking group.
I have gone hiking with him 5 times already. I’m getting exercise, and accomplishing my personal goals to explore more nature and learn Japanese plants and animals. The interesting thing about this group is that they have been meeting for the past 15 years, and it is all old men! They are all very excited about this new young person in their midst. It is the first time in my life I’ve ever been called a “Madonna!”
It’s so much fun, because the conversations are good Japanese training for me. Also none of these people are Soka Gakkai members, so I get to share the various experiences I’ve had as well. They seem to enjoy the new conversation topics and practicing their English too.


I also get a lesson in youthfulness from my 80 year old senpai. He started hiking when he was 68, challenging the mountains 60 times a year and studying the science of hiking, so I call him Sasaki Sensei. It’s really amazing because he has so much energy & keeps a record of every hike he’s been on and who he was with. It’s his way not to get Alzheimer’s and all the members also aspire to be like him when we are 80 years old. This week, he turns 81 and is going on a three day hike and camping trip in the mountains with his friends!



Sasaki Sensei also has a special link with me because he lost his granddaughter in the tsunami on March 11. Her name was Takako, and he felt like I was sort of a gift from the universe, returning “Taka-chan” into his life. I am so happy that I had the courage to talk to him when I did and that we can share our passion for nature. There are many other ways I’m taking action in my community, like supporting fundraising efforts for earthquake victims by selling and making eco-craft projects and collecting recyclables.



I have so much fortune to have a great husband who doesn’t limit what I do, he respects and trusts me to make good decisions and is happy when I’m happy. He even let me go to India for a month to support wild tiger conservation efforts there! The organization I work with supported my trip by paying airfare and covering some of my expenses while I was there.

Over the past year in Japan, I’ve enjoyed traveling all over Japan for personal trips and part time jobs using my English & Japanese skills. In my local Japanese organization, I’ve been appointed as a vice group leader and a vice young misses leader. I’ve joined the planning committee for our district discussion meetings, to make them more fun for guests and members alike.

All this makes me very hopeful towards the future! I never want to stop taking action towards making tomorrow better and I have my mentor, Dr. Ikeda to thank for sharing his precious words. “You are responsible for your own happiness.” I hope you can also find some way of celebrating your life and giving others a chance to get to know you. Don’t let fear stop you from expressing who you are and accomplishing your goals so you can be Happy! Thanks for letting me share my experience today!

No comments:

Post a Comment